I’m beginning to feel like a bit of a freak choosing Portland and Oregon for a spring break destination – everyone else I know in Iowa, if they’re getting out of here in March, is heading to Mexico or Florida or Arizona. Somewhere that warm weather is practically guaranteed – although not always as we’ve learned from our frequent trips to Tucson in March to see my dad.
Last I looked, Portland is usually in 50s, maybe 60s, in March – which isn’t exactly balmy but a heck of lot better than the sub-zero temps we’ve had here. There doesn’t seem to be any cost advantage to flying to Portland vs. Arizona during spring break from Des Moines. Both are expensive. But our Portland ticket is about $$150 more than our son’s ticket to Tucson. (And we both fly out on the same flight to Denver before parting ways for different destinations.)
My fear of anything nonrefundable caught up with me this morning as word arrived that there is a possibility (slight I think but still a possibility) that our public school system’s spring break may be canceled or shortened so kids can make up some of the record six school days canceled due to bad weather so far (blizzard, snow storm, ice storm, blizzard…). We, like many families, have plane tickets to fly out of this snowy, icy, bitter cold place during spring break – nonrefundable, of course. One ticket is to Spain – where my daughter is heading on a school-sponsored trip.
So here’s hoping the school district finds another way out of this bind. (I’m rooting for holding school on several Saturdays and maybe tack on a few extra school days at the end of the school year, as is tradition with weather-related days off.) But until this is resolved, I’m thinking I shouldn’t reserve hotel rooms in Portland that are discounted but nonrefundable.